Client information and background:
A supply chain technology solution provider required a Partner portal to be implemented on the .Net platform using TeamSite as the Content Management System (CMS). Using the Partner portal, the company could easily share classified marketing documents and provide self–service tools for the channel partners.
Here are some of the challenges identified for the implementation:
- Displaying personalized content for each partner based on Region and Partner type.
- Strict access control. User should not see content that is not given access to his role.
- Google search results should also respect the access control on the content.
- Usage of intuitive content-entry templates to input content for each role on the same page. At the same time, content duplication had to be avoided.
- Usage of TeamSite Forms Publisher only as the customer does not have license for LiveSite or SitePublisher products.
- Providing extensible Single Sign-on (SSO) service which new application and existing application can make use of.
- Usage of the same public URL for the partner site.
- Display of public content in the same site along with role based private content.
The entire solution was built using Microsoft .NET platform without using additional software. Role based content rendering controls were developed which rendered content based on roles and permissions.
TeamSite Forms Publisher Templates were created for each page types in a way that the Content Editor could enter content and assign permissions at the component level.
ASP.net Sitemap was enhanced to provide role based sitemap and the editors were provided the ability to self-manage it.
Google Search Appliance was used to crawl and index the role based content. Security permissions were provided exclusively to it to access all the content using different roles. The search engine was also configured to verify the user authentication before serving the results. This ensured all the content was indexed and at the same time only the content the user has permission to view was displayed in the search results.
In the new system, the users could upload various Documents like Brochures, Product alerts, Presentations, Promotional Materials, Launch Kits to be displayed appropriately on the portal.
Users were also provided training on using the Templates, Sitemap and on publishing content.
Benefits to the customer:
- Increased visitor count to the site and higher page views.
- Faster publishing times. The site started getting updated 2-3 times a day from once a month.
- No extra software costs.
- Ability for Content Editors to manage the entire site without the help of IT.
For more information about this case study and client info, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org