Client information and background
A leading conglomerate of businesses was embarking on a simplification and consolidation initiative aimed at greater brand and content uniformity and better corporate control over their web presence.
Their existing set up:
- Each business had their own website
- Diverse technologies were used
- No segregation of code and content
- Multilingual with email as means of collaboration
- Static pages with same content for all site visitors
After analyzing the organization set up, the following challenges were identified.
- Environment Complexity - Each business had its own independent infrastructure, its own web setup
- People Dependency - Recurring cost of support for even small content changes
- Inconsistent look and feel - Each organization has its own branding guidelines
- Manual Process - Manual emails for tracking internationalized content changes resulted in little or no hold over content uniformity on the live website
- Deployment Delays - No automated process for change management of content on “Live” websites resulted in a manual cycle of weeks for any content deployment
- No audience targeting - There was no content segregation based on demographic resulting in minimal site effectiveness
Keeping in view the various challenges observed in the organization, the solution needed to address the following areas.
- Environment Simplification – Drive content creation for all websites from a single CMS
- Branding – Unified look and feel for all their sites
- Content Consistency (Multilingual) – Ensure any change in any page in a particular language triggers notifications to teams owning the same content in all other languages
- Process Standardization – Identify and implement process steps to govern content change for any language and site
- Automated Publishing – Content automatically published and live
- Audience Target – Content is dynamically displayed based on the type of user
The highlights of this implementation are as follows:
- With a single IT infrastructure, the system centrally enforced policies while enabling decentralized content creation.
- A central pool of components were created in LiveSite environment for decentralized content creation.
- Components could be deployed unlimited number of times, in any combination, and across multiple pages, however to aid greater uniformity, certain page type templates were created.
- Integration with social networking sites such as facebook was achieved with components that were developed and incorporated on the website.
- A reusable, extensible, rapid application development framework was architected to create a Blog component with the following features :
- Blog Categorization by Categories, Sub-Categories and Timeline
- Highly configurable as per customer requirements
- Ability to comment anonymously
- Ability to moderate comments
- Ability to tag blog posts
- Tag Cloud
- The Blog component was also demonstrated to Autonomy Inc. as a potential reusable solution for implementation by other clients.
- To manage globalized content, a site family was designed. The site family has a Master site with numerous child sites, localized for different languages and regions. The system was configured to notify locale owners of changes in the master for a localized rendition of the master site.
- LiveSite Content Publish Workflow was configured to automate the publishing of content to the Live website.
- Using LiveSite Content Services targeting module, personalized content was made available on the sites. The sites displayed content according to the site visitor’s profile.
Unity in Diversity was achieved with the well-designed multiple website management system. Business users are now empowered to alter websites to suit changing business goals, without delays and complexities due to technology.
The overall impact by implementing LiveSite is as summarized below:
- Central control over users and content
- Consistent corporate branding
- Maximum Information technology efficiencies and minimum IT-related costs
- Compliance with corporate standards
For more information about this case study and client info, please write to email@example.com